Department of Genetics
C424 Life Sciences Building
Athens, GA 30602
- Ph.D. King's College London, University of London, Molecular Genetics, 2008.
- M.S. Peking University, Plant Biology, 1999.
- B.S. Peking University, Plant Molecular and Developmental Biology, 1996.
Research and Teaching Positions:
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey L. Bennetzen, University of Georgia, Department of Genetics. 2015-present.
- Research Scientist, Kunming Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Leading the research lab of Bennetzen in China. April 2013-December 2015.
- China Tobacco Gene Research Center, the leader of Bioinforamtics platform, national key project of tobacco genome sequencing. April 2012-March 2013.
- Postdoctoral Research Associate. University of Georgia. Wet bench molecular lab and computational research for biofuel crops switchgrass, foxtail millet and pearl millet genome sequencing, sequence variance discovering, genetic markers development, genetic map construction, wheat genome sequencing and evolution, genome wide transcriptome expression, stress response expression profile, biofuel traits QTL mapping and computational analysis of genome. March 2008-March 2012.
- King’s College London， University of London, UK, PhD student research; Genetic dissection of shade response and its signal pathway in Arabidopsis. December 2004-February 2008.
- Royal Holloway University of London, UK，visiting scholar, Bs10710 Genetics、 Bs2150 Applications of molecular genetics etc five lab demonstrator teaching for undergraduate students. December 2004-February 2008.
- Lecturer, department of bio-engineering and food engineering, Xiangtan University, builder of department of bio-engineering; vice dean and dean during 2001-2004; teaching undergraduate student 01730790 biochemistry， 01730610 genetic engineering，01731110 cell engineering, CAD (computer Auxiliary Designing). July 2000-November 2004.
- Researcher, Hi-tech Bioengineering Project Manager. Beijing Glorious Inc. genetic center lab, Beijing Dadi Inc. China. July 1999-June 2000.
Affiliations and Awards:
- KC Wong scholarship 2004-2007
- Royal Society scholarship 2004-2007
- King College, University of London scholarship 2006-2007
- Top 1st Poster Communication Prize (PhD), Kings college, University of London, 2000
- Excellent Macromedia Prize (biochemistry, bi-language), top NO. 2, 2003 Nov Hu’nan province
- Excellent Macromedia Prize (biochemistry, bi-language), top NO. 1, 2003 Dec. XTU
- (International) Excellent Research Achievement Prize for Polyploidy Breeding of Acacia magium, year 1998, international prize from Gold Group APP Co Ltd.
- PKU Excellent Top Ranked Graduate prize,1998, Peking University
- Hunan province top one outstanding middle school student, 1991 Sept, Hunan Province Education Office
- PKU top 3 outstanding Freshman, 1991 Oct, Peking University
- Member of Genetic Society
- Memeber of Society of Experiment Biology (SEB)
- Comittee board member of China Genomics Association
- Member of Sina plant association, 1996-2000
- Member of Institute of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Functional Genomics in UGA http://www.plantbreeding.uga.edu/
- Member of Bio Energy Science Center (BESC)，US. http://bioenergycenter.org/
- Peer reviewer for academic journals: Journal of experimental botany, Plant Diversity, PlosOne, Molecular Biology Reports, molecular breeding, plant signalling & behaviour, BMC, Biological Sciences, Bioinformation, Frontiers in plant sciences, Frontiers in genetics, Gene, Plos Computatinal Biology, Chinese Journal of biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Associate Editor for journals: Plant Diversity
- W Li, F Xiang, M Zhong, L Zhou, H Liu, S Li, X Wang (2017) Transcriptome and metabolite analysis identifies nitrogen utilization genes in tea plant (Camellia sinensis). Scientific Reports 7 (doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-01949-0), 1693
- Wang X, Wang L (2016) GMATA: an integrated software package for genome-scale SSR mining, marker development and viewing. Frontiers in Plant Science 7 (1350). doi:10.3389/fpls.2016.01350
- Khan S, Nadir S, Wang X, Khan A, Xu J, Li M, Tao L, Khan S, Karunarathna SC . (2016) Using in silico techniques: Isolation and characterization of an insect cuticle-degrading-protease gene from Beauveria bassiana. Microbial Pathogenesis
- Liu, H., Wang, X., Wei, B., Wang, Y., Yinghong Liu, J.Z., Hu, Y., Yu, G., Li, J., Xu, Z. and Huang, Y. (2016) Characterization of genome-wide variation in Four-row Wax, a waxy maize landrace with a reduced kernel row phenotype. Frontiers in Plant Science, doi: 10.3389/fpls.3320
- Gallemí, M., Galstyan, A., Paulišić, S., Then, C., Ferrández-Ayela, A., Lorenzo-Orts, L., Roig-Villanova, I., Wang, X., Micol, J.L. and Ponce, M.R. (2016) DRACULA2 is a dynamic nucleoporin with a role in regulating the shade avoidance syndrome in Arabidopsis. Development, 143, 1623-1631 doi:10.1242/dev.130211
- Wang X, Bennetzen JL (2015) Current status and prospects for the study of Nicotiana genomics, genetics, and nicotine biosynthesis genes. Mol Genet Genomics 290 (1):11-12. doi:10.1007/s00438-015-0989-7
- Mauro-Herrera M, Wang X, Barbier H, Brutnell TP, Devos KM, Doust AN (2013) Genetic control and comparative genomic analysis of flowering time in Setaria (Poaceae). G3: Genes, Genomes, Genetics (2):283-295. doi:10.1534/g3.112.005207
- Serba D, Wu L, Daverdin G, Bahri B, Wang X, Kilian A, Bouton J, Brummer EC, Saha M, Devos K (2013) Linkage maps of lowland and upland tetraploid switchgrass ecotypes. Bioenerg Res 6 (3):953-965. doi:10.1007/s12155-013-9315-6
- Wang X, Lu P, Luo Z (2013) GMATo: a novel tool for the identification and analysis of microsatellites in large genomes. Bioinformation 9 (10):541-544. doi:10.6026/97320630009541
- Bennetzen JL, Schmutz J, Wang H, Percifield R, Hawkins J, Pontaroli AC, Estep M, Feng L, Vaughn JN, Grimwood J, Jenkins J, Barry K, Lindquist E, Hellsten U, Deshpande S, Wang X, Wu X, Mitros T, Triplett J, Yang X, Ye C-Y, Mauro-Herrera M, Wang L, Li P, Sharma M, Sharma R, Ronald PC, Panaud O, Kellogg EA, Brutnell TP, Doust AN, Tuskan GA, Rokhsar D, Devos KM (2012) Reference genome sequence of the model plant Setaria. Nat Biotech 30 (6):555-561. doi:10.1038/nbt.2196
- Wang X., Roig-Villanova I, Khan S, Shanahan H, Quail PH, Martinez-Garcia JF, Devlin PF (2011) A novel high-throughput in vivo molecular screen for shade avoidance mutants identifies a novel phyA mutation. Journal of experimental botany 62 (8):2973-2987, doi: 10.1093/jxb/err062
- Wang X., Roig-Villanova, I., Martinez-Garcia, J., Devlin, P. (2007) Characterisation of dracula (no avoidance of shade) and icarus (extreme avoidance of shade) mutants in Arabidopsis, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part A Molecular & Integrative Physiology, doi: 10.1016/j.cbpa.2007.01.509
- N'K, M.K., Wang X. and Cui, K.M. (2003) Mechanism of dormancy in the buds and cambium of Eucommia ulmoides. Acta bot. sin, 45, 698-704, doi:10.3321/j.issn:1672-9072.2003.06.010
- Wang X. C., Keming. (2000) The effects of age and multiploidy on fiber characteristics in Acacia Magium. Scientia Silvae Sinicae, 36. doi: 10.11707/j.1001-7488.20000120
- Xuewen Wang, Micai Zhong. Next generation sequencing Paired-end Reads Joining (PERJ)(Chinese version)，V1.0 Chinese copyright protection center © NO. 2013R11L262638, 2014, Feb.
- Xuewen Wang. Next generation sequencing Paired-end Reads Joining (PERJ) software V1.0 Chinese copyright protection center © NO. 2013R11L261987, 2014, Feb.
- Xuewen Wang, Meng Li, Genome-wide Microsatellite Analysis Towards Application software, V2.0 Chinese copyright protection center © NO. 2013R11L265647, 2014, Feb.
- Xuewen Wang, Peng Lu, Yalong Xu, Peijina Cao, Chunyang Wei, Zhaopeng Luo, Ran Wang, Jun Yang. Whole genome-scale DNA repeated sequence discovery and statistic analysing software V1.0, computer software © NO. 2013SR000791, certificate NO. 0506553, 2013, Jan 6th.
- A method for high-resolution genotyping of SSR (simple sequence repeats) molecular marker Inventor: Xuewen Wang 2015 , Publication number CN104673929A , web link http://www.google.com/patents/CN104673929A?cl=en
- A method for extracting total RNA from tea tissue, Inventor Xuewen Wang, Micai Zhong, Meng Li, year 2015, Pulblication Number CN104694531A, web link http://www.google.com/patents/CN104673929A?cl=en
Selected Presentations at Conferences:
- Xuewen Wang, GMATA: a powerful tool for microsatellite characterization, marker development and graphic display applied to the maize genome, Maize genetics conference, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Mar 17-20, 2016, poster.
- Xuewen Wang, invited attendant, annual meeting of editorial board of Plant Diversity, Dec 22nd, 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, speaker, Annual conference of Kunming institute of Botany, Tea flavor molecules and their gene regulation network, Dec 16th-18th, 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, Invited speaker, Genetic dissection of tea genes and drinkability in Camellia sinensis (tea), Functional genomics summit II, Beijing, Nov 11th-12th, 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, invited speaker, Genomic and genetic basis of seed nutritional content in Eragrostis tef, 2015 International Conference of Genomics, Xi’an, Oct 23-25th, 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, invited speaker, Genetic dissection of tea genes and drinkability in Camellia sinensis (tea), National electronic microscope annual conference 2015, Chengdu, Oct 13-18th, 2015.
- Genetics conference 2015, Kunming, Tea omics and palatability, Aug 14-18th 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, invited speaker, Intelligent development SSR marker and its high resolution detection, Conference for allied science and technology to application, Kunming, hosted by Yunnan Province government, Aug 4th 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, invited speaker, genomics studies toward application, University of Yunnan Agricultural University, Jul 6th 2015.
- Xuewen Wang, speaker, Study of crop genomics toward molecular breeding, Anhui Agricultural University, May 1st 2015.
- Jeffrey L. Bennetzen , Xuewen Wang, Greg Ziegler, Taoran Dong, Srini Chaluvadi, Mark Sorrells, IvanBaxter, Katrien M. Devos, Genetic Analysis of Seed Nutritional Content in Tef Millet , Plant & Animal Genome XXIII, San Diego, CA, USA, Jan, 2015, conference paper.
- Many collaboration are undergoing in US, UK, Spain and China.