Department of Genetics
C424 Life Sciences Building
Athens, GA 30602
- Ph.D. M. S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
- M.S. G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, India.
- B.S. G. B. Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar, India
Research and Teaching Positions:
- Assistant Research Scientist, laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey L. Bennetzen, University of Georgia, Department of Genetics. 2012 - Present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, laboratory of Dr. Jeffrey L. Bennetzen, University of Georgia, Department of Genetics. 2007-2012.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Laboratory of Dr. Richard S. Nelson, Plant biology division, Samuel Roberts Noble foundation. 2004- 2007.
- Senior Scientist, Laboratory of tissue culture and Bioprospecting, M. S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, India 2000 - 2003.
- Project Consultant, Laboratory of Dr. J. K. Ladha, International Rice Research Institute, Los banos, Philippines 2001.
- Graduate Student of Dr. M. S. Swaminathan, M. S. Swaminathan Research foundation, Chennai, India 1995-1999.
- Dissertation title: Species differentiation in the mangrove genus Rhizophora. Graduate Student (M.S.), laboratory of Dr. H.S. Chawla, department of Plant Breeding, G. B. Pant University of agriculture and Technology, India, 1991-1993.
- Thesis title: Influence of genotype and culture medium on the callus induction and plant regeneration of wheat.
Affiliations and Awards:
- Brandis Prize for most outstanding paper in Silvicuture (2000) by Indian Forester (This paper describes the methods to propagate Rhizophora species, an important viviparous mangrove tree genera).
- Indo Italian Exchange Fellowship by Dept of Science and Tech, India (1999). (USD 5000) (I used this fellowship to visit University of Bologna, Italy for three months, to identify common areas interests for collaboration between MSSRF and University of Bologna.
- Dourabji Tata Overseas Travel Fellowship (1998) and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research CSIR, Govt. of India - Overseas Travel Fellowship (1998) to present a plenary lecture on the application of classical and biotechnology methods to propagate mangrove tree species. (USD 1000).
- CSIR, Govt. of India – Senior Research Fellowship (April 1998 to August 1999) to complete my doctoral thesis research)
- Indian Council for Agri Research (ICAR), Govt. of India - Junior Research Fellowship (1991 – 1993)
- Rocha, D. M., Marquez, A., Andrade, C.G.T.d.J., Guyot, R., Chaluvadi, S.R., Houben, A., Bennetzen, J.L., Vanzela, A.L.L, (2016) Developmental programmed cell death during asymmetric microsporogenesis in holocentric species of Rhynchospora (Cyperaceae). J Exp Bot, doi:10.1093/jxb/erw300
- Lee W.S., Fu, S.F, Li, Z., Murphy, A.M., Dobson, E.A., Garland, L., Chaluvadi, S.R., Lewsey, M.G., Nelson, R.S., Carr, J.P. (2016) The effects of salicylic acid and RNA-dependent RNA polymerase one on tobacco mosaic virus spread and virus-induced symptom development in Nicotiana benthamiana. BMC Plant Biol, 16:15
- Vaughn, J.N, Chaluvadi, S.R, Tushar, Rangan, L, Bennetzen, J.L (2014) Whole plastome sequences from five ginger species facilitate marker development and define limits to barcode methodology. PloS one 9: e108581
- Chaluvadi, S.R, Khanam S, Mohammad A.M.A, Bennetzen J.L (2014) Genetic Diversity and population structure of native and introduced date palm (Phoenix dactylifera) germplasm in United Arab Emirates. Tropical Plant Biology (7) 30-41 (Featured on the cover)
- Zhu, Q., S.M. Smith, M. Ayele, L. Yang, A. Jogi, Chaluvadi, S. R, Bennetzen J.L (2012) High-throughput discovery of mutations in tef semi-dwarfing genes by next-generation sequencing analysis. Genetics 192: 819-829
- Al-Dous E, George B, Al-Mahmoud M, Al-Jaber M, Wang H, Salameh Y, Al-Azwani E, Chaluvadi, S. R, Pontaroli A, DeBarry J, Ohlrogge J, Arondel V, Saie I, Suliman-Elmeer K, Bennetzen J, Kruegger R and Joel A. Malek (2011) De novo genome sequencing and comparative genomics of the date palm tree (Phoenix dactylifera cv Khalas) using massively parallel sequencing. Nature Biotechnology 29, 521–527 (Featured on the cover)
- Deshpande, A., Pontaroli, A. C., Chaluvadi, S. R., Lu, F., and Bennetzen, J. L. (2011) Plant Genetics for Study of the Roles of Root Exudates and Microbes in the Soil, In Root Genomics (Costa de Oliveira, A., and Varshney, R. K., Eds.), pp 99-111, Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Ding, X. S., Chaluvadi, S. R., and Nelson, R. S. (2007) Analysis of Gene Function in Rice Through Virus-Induced Gene Silencing , In Plant-Pathogen Interactions. Methods in Molecular Biology, (Pamela C. Ronald., Ed), Volume 354, 145-160.
- Ding, X. S., Schneider, W. L., Chaluvadi, S. R., Mian, M. A. R., and Nelson, R. S. (2006) Characterization of a Brome mosaic virus strain and its use as a vector for gene silencing in monocotyledonous hosts, Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions19, 1229-1239.
- Sreevidya, V. S*., Chaluvadi, S. R*., Sullia, S. B., Ladha, J. K., and Reddy, P. M. (2006) Metabolic engineering of rice with soybean isoflavone synthase for promoting nodulation gene expression in rhizobia, Journal of Experimental Botany 57, 1957-1969 (*Equal First Author).
- Eganathan, P., Subramanian, H., Latha, R., and Chaluvadi, S. R. (2006) Oil analysis in seeds of Salicornia brachiata, Industrial Crops and Products 23, 177-179.
- Latha, R., Chaluvadi, S. R., Subramaniam, H. M. S., Eganathan, P., and Swaminathan, M. S. (2004) Approaches to breeding for salinity tolerance - a case study on Porteresia coarctata, Annals of Applied Biology 144, 177-184.
- Anand, A., Chaluvadi, S. R., Eganathan, P., Kumar, N. A., and Swaminathan, M. S. (2004) Saving an endemic and endangered taxon : Syzygium travancoricum Gamble (Myrtacae) : A case study focussing on its genetic diversity, and reintroduction, Physiology and Molecular Biology of Plants 10, 233-242.
- Chaluvadi, S. R., Eganathan, P., Anand, A., Latha, R. and Balakrishna, P. (2001) Application of biotechnology and classical breeding methods in the genetic enhancement of mangroves, In Mangrove Ecosystems: Natural Distribution, Biology and Management (Narayan R. Bhat, Faisal k. taha and Afaf Y. Al-Nasser Eds.).Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Kuwait.
- Eganathan, P., and Chaluvadi, S. R. (2001) Manual on vegetative and micropropagation of mangroves / P. Eganathan and C. Srinivasa Rao, Chennai : M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, 2001.
- Eganathan, P., Chaluvadi, S. R., and Anand, A. (2000) Vegetative propagation of three mangrove tree species by cuttings and air layering, Wetlands Ecology and Management 8, 281-286.
- Eganathan, P., Chaluvadi, S. R., Anand, A., and Balakrishna, P. (2000) Propagation of Rhizophora species through viviparous hypocotyl cuttings and air layering, Indian Forester 126, 1222-1230.
- Anand, A., and Chaluvadi, S. R. (2000) A rapid in vitro propagation protocol for Piper barberi Gamble, a critically endangered plant, In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Plant 36, 61-64.
- Anand, A., Chaluvadi, S. R., and Balakrishna, P. (1999) In vitro propagation of Syzygium travancoricum Gamble - an endangered tree species, Plant Cell Tissue and Organ Culture 56, 59-63.
- Chaluvadi, S. R., Eganathan, P., Anand, A., Balakrishna, P., and Reddy, T. P. (1998) Protocol for in vitro propagation of Excoecaria agallocha L., a medicinally important mangrove species, Plant Cell Reports17, 861-865.
- Latha, R., Ajith, A., Chaluvadi, S. R., Eganathan, P., and Balakrishna, P. (1998) In vitro propagation of salt-tolerant wild rice relative, Porteresia coarctata Tateoka, Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 17, 231-235.
- Anand, A., Chaluvadi, S. R., Latha, R., Josekutty, P. C., and Balakrishna, P. (1998) Micropropagation of Uraria picta, a medicinal plant, through axillary bud culture and callus regeneration, In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Plant 34, 136-140.
- Parani, M., Chaluvadi, S. R., Mathan, N., Anuratha, C. S., Narayanan, K. K., and Parida, A. (1997) Molecular Phylogeny of mangroves III Parentage analysis of a Rhizophora hybrid using random amplified polymorphic DNA and restriction fragment length polymorphism markers, Aquatic Botany 58, 165-172.
Workshops and Symposia:
- iPlant Faculty Workshop on genome assembly sponsored by National Science Foundation, USA at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia on April 23-24, 2010
- Rice Gene Annotation Workshop at TIGR, Rockville, Maryland, USA , July 2007
- Core Faculty in the RiceCAP sponsored Virus-Induced Gene Silencing and Stable RNAi Workshop. The Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Inc., Ardmore, OK, October 31-Nov 05, 2005
- Course Director, Biodiversity conservation and prospecting" M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai, India, March 26th April 2nd, 2003
- Core Faculty in the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) sponsored training program on Biodiversity, Conservation and Molecular Markers. M S Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai, India December 7-23, 1997
- Created self Help Groups (SHGs) in Coastal Taminadu and trained them in vegetative propagation techniques, mist propagation and afforestation, 1999-2003
Selected Presentations at Conferences:
- Chaluvadi, S. R., Young P.F., Tompson K.P., Saha M.C., Brummer C.E., Devos K.E., and Bennetzen J.E (2011) Plant genetic contributions to microbial colonization in the rhizosphere and roots of switchgrass and Setaria. Bioenergy Science Center Annual Science Retreat, Chattanooga TN, June 18-21, 2011
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Malay C. Saha, Charles E. Brummer and Jeffrey L. Bennetzen (2010) Identification and segregation analysis of differences in microbial colonization in the switchgrass root and rhizosphere. Bioenergy Science Center Annual Science Retreat, Asheville, North Carolina, May 21 -23, 2010
- Sita Ghimire, K. D. Craven, Chaluvadi, S. R, Jeff Bennetzen, Eric Worley, Jiading Yang, Michael Udvardi Martin Keller (2009) Enhanced quality, value, yield, carbon capture and sustainability of switchgrass biomass by the improvement of root, microbe and soil interactions. 2010 Genomic Science Contractor-Grantee and knowledge base workshop Sponsered by US Department of Energy, Office of Biological Environmental Research. Crystal City, Virginia February 7 – 10, 2010. (Meeting Link)
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Ryan Percifield, Qihui Zhu and Jeff Bennetzen (2009) Influence of host genotype on the rhizosphere and root bacterial community of switchgrass (Panicum virgatum l.) – a culture independent assessment. University of Georgia Plant Center Retreat, November 19 – 20, 2009
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Ryan Percifield, Qihui Zhu and Jeff Bennetzen (2009) Microbial diversity in rhizospheres and roots of two switchgrass cultivars. Bioenergy Science Center Annual Science Retreat, Asheville, North Carolina, June 22-24, 2009
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Ana Pontaroli, Ryan Percifield, Qihui Zhu and Jeff Bennetzen (2009) Influence of host genetics on the rhizosphere microbial community of maize, sorghum and switchgrass. 51st Maize Genetics Conference, St. Charles, Illinois, March 12 to March 15, 2009. Poster No. P152 (Meeting Abstracts)
- Joint Genomics Institute User group meeting, March 26-28, 2008, Walnut Creek, CA Bioenergy Science Center (BESC) science retreat, Chattanooga, Tennessee, December 1-3, 2008
- Bennetzen Jeff, Matt Estep, Chaluvadi, S. R, Michel Timco, Lytton Musselman, Claude dePamphilis (2008) Genome Analysis, Systematics And Genetic Diversity In Witchweed (Striga spp.). Plant and Animal Genome XV1 Conference. San Diego, CA, January 12-16, 2008. (Meeting Abstracts)
- R. S. Nelson, X. Ding, K. Ballard, S. R. Chaluvadi (2007) Use of Brome mosaic virus for virus-induced gene silencing in rice, fescue and switchgrass. Oral presentation at APS/SON Joint Meeting, July 28 – August 1, in San Diego, California. Phytopathology 97:S83 (Journal Link)
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Ding XS, Ballard KD and RS Nelson (2007) Recombination and complementation potential of transgenically-expressed BMV proteins with movement defective viruses in Nicotiana benthamiana Poster Presented at 11. APS/SON Joint Meeting, July 28 – August 1, in San Diego, California. Phytopathology 97: S19 (Journal Link)
- Xin Shun Ding, Chaluvadi, S. R, Kimberly Ballard, Richard S. Nelson (2005) Refinement of brome mosaic virus vector for VIGS in monocots. 5th Internation Rice Genetics Symposium, Manila, Philippines, Poster P255, 19-23 November 2005. (Meeitn Abstracts)
- Rajakani, S., H. M. SR. Subramanian, Chaluvadi, S. R, Ajay Parida and P. Eganathan.2006. An Integrated Approach for Plantation, Management and Sustainable Utilisation of Coastal Mangrove Forest: A Community Based Analysis. EU-INDIA ECCP-NETFOP Project Conference on Planted Forests: Ecosystem Goods and Services. Forest Research Institute (ICFRE), Dehradun. December 13-15.
- Satyan, R. S., Chaluvadi, S. R and Ajay Parida. 2004. Antipest Property of Excoecaria agallocha against Helicoverpa armigera. IUPAC International Conference on Biodiversity and Natural Products: Chemistry and Medical Applications (ICOB-4 & ISCNP-24). Council of Industrial and Scientific Research and University of Delhi, New Delhi.January 26-31.
- Chaluvadi, S. R, P.Eganathan., A. Anand., R. Latha and P.Balakrishna, Application of Biotechnology and Classical Breeding Methods in the Genetic Enhancement of Mangroves, Paper presented at The International Symposium on Mangrove Ecology and Biology at Kuwait Institute for Science Research. Kuwait,83-98,2001
- Patil, Vishwanath M., Chaluvadi, S. R and M. Parani. 1995. Tissue culture studies of Casearia rubascens an endemic medicinal plant. Paper presented at International Conference on Current Progress in Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Research. Calcutta. 30 December-l January
- Jayanthi, M., Ajith Anand, Chaluvadi, S. R, V.M. Patil and P. Balakrisha. 1996. In vitro propagation of some medicinal plants and wild relatives native to Western Ghats. Abstract for the National Symposium on Plant Tissue Culture.. G B Pant University, Pantnagar. 10-12 April
- Latha, R., Chaluvadi, S. R. Rob Finch and P. Balakrishna. 1996. Micropropagation studies in wild relative of rice, Porteresia coarctata (Roxb) Tateoka. Second International Crop Science Congress, Delhi. 17-24 November
- Chaluvadi, S. R, Vishwanth M. Patil, P.C. Jose Kutty and Sanjay V Deshmukh. 1995. Micropropagation of some mangrove plants through shoot tip and nodal cultures. Poster presented in All India Symposiums on Recent Advances in Biotechnology Applications of Plant Tissue Culture. 22-24 June. Won First Prize in the micropropagation section